It had pretty simple looking lines and not a lot of detail, so I thought maybe I could manage it.
I found a one foot square of almond colored glass and some black powder. The glass is System 96 and the powder is Bullseye, but I wasn't planning on fusing it, so it didn't matter that they were different COEs.
I thought that I should try and do the farthest back parts of the image first, so I started with the right frond. I started working up from the bottom, which was probably a mistake, but I somehow managed to not drag my arm though my work anyway. I kind of misjudged my starting point on the glass and didn't really leave enough room, so my version got vertically compressed a bit and I wound up not doing the overlap between the blossom and the frond. Just as well, it was more challenging that I originally thought as it was.
I spent about an hour and a half working on it and I confess that I used more tools than just my fingers and a business card. Mostly, I used a little rubber smudger tool to push powder around and make small adjustments. I liked using the business card for long flowing lines, but when I tried to use it for details I found that I often couldn't get it in the right position to make the adjustment that I wanted without disturbing something else. I also found that with the business card, I was often working blind because the line I was trying to adjust was on the other side of the card.
I had fun with this and really liked the way I could just sort of push lines around until they looked right to me. Much easier than having to erase and redraw as I would on paper. Here is my final result.

Bob, what a delicate line and fine touch. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI love hearing your process. You have fine lines and I have blobs of black powder. I like this. :)
ReplyDeleteGood job! I was going to ask how you got such fine lines with just your fingers but then I read your description ;o) I am looking forward to using the business card as a tool tomorrow!
ReplyDelete